... ...

How Much Black Walnut To Give Dog – 3 Tips To Avoid Black Walnut Poisoning

Last Updated on

How Much Black Walnut To Give Dog? In this short article, we’ll cover all the important points on black walnut and it’s benefits and risks to your dog.

One of the illnesses to expect as a dog pet owner is a worm infestation. There are FDA approved medical treatment for such treatments. There are also herbal alternatives that you can consider giving your dog. One of these herbal dewormers is black walnut. The big question though, is how much black walnut to give a dog?

If not well administered, black walnut can be poisonous to animals, including dogs. When you decide to use the herbal alternative to treat worms in your dog, first consult a vet so you can get the right prescriptions or usage to avoid poisoning your lovely pet. 

Related: Best Dog Nail Grinder

Signs Your Dog Has Worms

Even before you get to the vet for testing, there are ways to tell whether your dog has worm infestation. If you want to know whether your dog has worms, watch for thrifty or string-looking organisms in the dogs:

  • Stool – watch out foe eggs
  • Vomit 
  • Or on the dog’s, fur, ass or rear 
  • Your dog is rubbing or scratching its rear
  • A bloated belly 
  • Loss of appetite and weight 
  • Bloody diarrhea 

How Much Black Walnut To Give Dog

If you are using black walnut, a drop in the dog’s food once every day for every 4.5 kgs of a dog’s body weight is ideal. We will insist again; it is important that you first seek your dog’s vet advice before using these herbal solutions to treat worms in your dog. 

How Do You Deworm A Dog Naturally?

Many people who ask “how do you deworm a dog naturally” stumble across Black Walnut as a Natural Dewormer. Black walnut is rumored to be an excellent substance to expel heartworms and intestinal worms in your dog. However, there is no much-backed data on the use of this as a dewormer. So, if you decide to use it, be careful, and possibly consult a vet.  

Black Walnut Poisoning 

Although black walnut is an alternative to treating worms, it can be poisonous in dogs. If you know what to look for, you can tell if your dog has walnut poisoning. Signs to look out for include;

  • Restlessness
  • Panting 
  • Vomiting 
  • Excess production of saliva 
  • Fever 
  • Incoordination 
  • Muscles tremoring 
  • Seizures 
  • Hyperresponsiveness 
  • Damage to the liver – signs include abdominal pain, fatigue, and jaundice 

In the worst-case scenario, a dog can succumb to poisoning. If you suspect your dog is poisoned, seek immediate medical attention. 

Balck walnut poisoning can be as a result of your dog ingesting the black walnut’s;

There is a belief that the poison is from the mold that develops on the plant after the rains. You can tell if the walnuts have mold by looking at the color. They always appear as if they are decomposing and changes color to brown or black. 

Black Walnut Poison Treatment 

Treatment of Black Walnut poisoning will depend on how much of the poison your dog has ingested. The survival of your dog will depend on; the time-lapse between the ingestion of the poison and treatment.

The sooner you get your dog to the vet for medical attention, the faster recovery can be and the survival rate.

One of the treatment methods is gastric lavage, which involves feeding the dog fluids to get rid of the poison. After this, your dog is given activated charcoal to get rid of any remaining poison.

The other treatment method is giving the dog intravenous fluids to help the lungs, and the kidney resumes normal functioning. There are other medications your dog might receive to deal with the seizures and to pass out of the toxic plant materials.

You can use black walnut as a herbal treatment for worms. However, how much black walnut to give your dog varies, and needs consultation from a vet to avoid poisoning.

 
We will be happy to hear your thoughts

      Leave a reply