... ...

What Happens If A Dog Eats A Frog? 10 Critical Signs You Must Check

What Happens If A Dog Eats A Frog? Dogs are naturally curious creatures and are even more so when they are playing around outdoors. From running around to wanting to get into everything, it may be a bit hard for you to keep an eye on them all the time.

That means dealing with your dog eating things you are not aware of, like frogs. But what happens if a dog eats a frog. Should you be worried? Can a dog die from biting a frog? 

What happens if a dog eats a frog?

Even when playing on the lawn, a dog can come into contact with a frog. Your dog may see the frog as a new toy and want to play around with it by biting and even swallowing the frog. This can pose a huge danger to the dog as the frog’s skin reacts by releasing some venom.

The venom has a bitter taste and a strong odour that causing irritation and a burning sensation to the dog’s eyes and nostrils. It can affect the dog even if it takes stagnant water from where the frog was playing.

Risk factors involved

The toxins secreted by a frog are hallucinogenic and can have adverse effects on your dog’s health if left unattended. If you suspect your dog was in touch with a from or ate one, there are symptoms to guide you. These include;

  1. Seizures
  2. Vomiting
  3. Diarrhoea
  4. Lack of appetite
  5. Irregular heartbeat
  6. Dilated pupils
  7. Foaming at the mouth
  8. Weakness or paralysis
  9. Eye and nose irritation
  10. Excessive drooling
EDITORIAL PICKS  Why Does My Dog Like To Sleep Under The Bed? 3 Practical Reasons

What to do when a dog eats a frog

Once you know for sure that a dog has eaten a frog, the best thing to do is to rush them to the vet. This is because the frog’s venom is already rushing all over their body, and it can be fatal if not treated immediately. 

You can also perform some first aid on the dog before they get to the vet, which greatly increases their chances of survival. Simply wash out the dog’s mouth with lots of water to flush out the toxins. 

Make sure that the water runs away from the tongue and the throat. You can also rub the dog’s gums with your hands to remove all the slime left behind by the frog. 

Alternatively, you can also use a clean rag to do the same provided you make sure not to spread the slime around. While not all species of frogs may be poisonous for a dog, it is still better to stay clear of any frogs. 

Since frogs love being around water bodies, you can try to make sure that the dog doesn’t play around areas like that. You can also ensure that you keep your yard well maintained so that frogs don’t get a new home there and the dog doesn’t run into them.

While there are a lot of things that dogs can eat with no problems, frogs are not one of them. What happens when a dog eats a frog is something that can be avoided with a little planning and taking time to teach them what to put in their mouths or not.

 

EDITORIAL PICKS  Dog Pulls On Leash Tried Everything! 3 Expert Tips To Regain Control

 

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply