What To Do If Your Dog Eat Rat Poison | Symptoms Of Poisoning In Dogs
Last Updated on
Your dog got in trouble, and you are wondering what to do if your dog eat rat poison? Rat poison is lethal when a dog consumes even a tiny bit. However, dogs love the taste of the poison. In case you have any rat poison in the house, this is the high time to keep it away from your dogs.
Related: Top 10 Clean Rat Cages
What To Do If Your Dog Eat Rat Poison
But if it is too late and your dog has ingested the rate poison, here are a few things to do:
- Call a vet immediately
- Carry any remaining portion of the poison
- Packaging of the poison
- Any available details of the amount of poison the dog has consumed
- Duration passed since the ingestion of the poison
In cases where the poison is recently ingested, the vet will induce vomiting. However, this should not be a home remedy that you can try, unless you have the vet’s approval.
Treatment of the rat poison
Apart from inducing vomit, the vet might give the activated charcoal. The administration of activated charcoal is through the mouth to help prevent the absorption of toxins through the dog’s gastrointestinal tract.
Other treatment methods that the vet can administer include the running of diagnostic tests. These will help the vet identify any toxins in the dog’s blood. Such diagnostics will depend on the amount of poison the dog consumed, and the time of consumption.
In cases where the dog needs advanced testing and treatment, the vet will recommend the admission of the dog for better treatment.
The treatment not only depends on the amount of toxin the dog ingests or the time-lapse but also the type of poison.
Types of rat poisons
There are four main types of rat poisons:
1. Anticoagulant poisons (LAAC)
These are the most common rat poisons. Anticoagulants work by prohibiting the clotting of blood and leads to internal bleeding. Anticoagulants are the slowest poisons in rats and will take a few days before the rate finally dies.
That means your dog has a chance at living another day when the situation is addressed immediately. There is an antidote for this poison, Vitamin K1, and your vet will advise best on the medication.
2. Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol)
It is among the most famous rat poisons and ranks among the most dangerous ones, too. Vitamin D3 increases the levels of calcium and phosphorous in the body, which results in kidney failure.
Due to its adverse effects, hospitalization therapy and regular lab monitoring are necessary for proper treatment of the dog. Vitamin D3 poison has no particular antidote, but its treatment focuses on reducing the levels of calcium in the body.
3. Zinc and Aluminum poisons
These poisons cause the release of phosphine gases, which increases in case there is any food in the dog’s stomach. You are advised not to feed your dog in case he/she ingests this poison as it increases the production of this gas.
Phosphine gases cause bloating, abdominal pains, vomiting, shock, seizures, and even collapsing. Its most adverse effect is liver damage. There is no antidote for this poison, but seeking immediate medical attention might save your dog’s life.
It targets the brain and liver. Upon ingestion, the poison causes fluid to build up in the brain. It also causes the accumulation of sodium in the liver. Bromethalin kills within hours, and it is fatal to pets. Its effects are also longlasting, which might lead to hospitalization of your dog for a few days for the best care.
There is no specific antidote for these types of poison. However, there are treatment methods that work towards reducing the swelling of the brain.
Rat poison is very delicious and, therefore, irresistible to dogs. However, these poisons are fatal. Instead of losing your mind wondering what to do if your dog eat rat poison, contact a vet immediately. Keeping track of the amount of poison ingested, the time of ingestion and the type of poison might help save your dog’s life.
Hey, I’m Amy and I’m in love with my Pets! I have a diverse variety, including 2 cats, 1 dog, 3 rabbits, 2 guinea pigs, a rat and a beautiful macaw. I love writing about everything pet-related and spend as much time as I can sharing my personal experiences.